Columbus Ga is rebranding itself. After 15-years of a successful brand strategy, it's time. The market is changing. There's the Great Recession. There's been the War on Terror. And so many other factors that make it almost impossible to ignore the fact that today is very different from when our community launched its branding... Read More
Tourism consultant Bill Geist poses an interesting thought, and perhaps challenge, for destination marketing organizations. He writes, that perhaps "Destination Marketing Organizations can [need to] continue to evolve and serve as the catalyst and choreographer in making our communities cool."
Hmmm. An organization in charge of cool.Read More
The next time you're facing a challenge, look past the obvious solutions. The overused moves in your industry will only go so far. Instead, look wide and explore emerging trends outside your industry. See if you can borrow an idea, pattern, or technology to create a highly differenced - and more impactful - outcome.<... Read More
The Financial Times reports that Snapchat is closing in on Facebook in video. Yep. Seems that Snapchat is generating 6 billion daily video compared to Facebook's 8 billion. Does this mean another media shift is about to occur?
Snapchat is a fun messaging application for sharing moments. You can... Read More
During a recent state travel conference one of our workshops focused on trends impacting the travel industry. Here are my top 10
1) People are cautiously optimistic that the Recession is over.
2) 64% of travelers look for service providers and prefer working directly with hotels vs. Online Travel Assoc. (hotels.com, Orbitz, etc.).
3) 28% of people who travel will take a business trip.
4) 60% of people who travel look forward to getting away, because time... Read More
What has worked in the past to create success is not always what will create success in the future. Don't just think outside the box. Throw the box away and never look back.Read More
Selling the destination is all about telling a story. One that holds your customer's attention and makes the appeal of the destination so desirable, so irresistible your audience has little choice but to visit, meet, etc. Here are 5 simple steps to win the war on conversion.
- Authority - be the expert. Know what you're talking about; not selling, no one wants to be sold. But tell the story about your destination, meeting... Read More
One of the destination's most important marketing tool is its website. Is yours cool? I mean when was the last time you revised it since it launched. Here are 8 rules to making it better.
- Avoid auto play music and video.
- Avoid mobile only sites - go with mobile optimization.
- Be careful with parallax scrolling (that thing where background images move by the camera slower than foreground images, creating an... Read More
When did the "pound symbol" become redefined as a "hashtag"? Pay attention.
With the advent of Twitter, the hashtag has become a part of our daily socialization in, well, social media. And if you're using Twitter to tell your destination story, you need a plan. According to expert Lauren Dugan, "It’s easy enough to add one or two relevant hashtags to the end of a tweet – like #education, #technology, #marketing and other industry-... Read More